THE HISTORY OF THE ASSEMBLIES OF GOD MALAYSIA
The Assemblies of God Malaysia is a Classical Pentecostal Movement that had her embryonic link to the Assemblies of God USA. The first effort to formalized the formation Assemblies of God of Malaya and Singapore was on the 6th February 1957 at Elim Church, 1079 Balesteir Road in Singapore. Delmer Guynes was elected as the General Superintendent1 In 1965, barely two years after the merger of the Federation of Malaya, Sabah, Sarawak and Singapore to form the Federation of Malaysia, some political situations saw Malaysia and Singapore separated into two nations. This situation led to the birth of the two new entities Assemblies of God of Malaysia and Assemblies of God Singapore in 19662.
The early period of the movement was marked by missionaries’ contributions from the States. The First Assemblies of God church in Pudu is the oldest existing church that was founded by Carrie P. Anderson. The missionary community provided the manpower and leadership to the movement from 1930 to 1974. In 1974 we witness the transition of the missionary leadership to our elected first local General Superintendent, Rev. Tan Sri (Dr.) Prince Guneratnam. He held his office as a General Superintendent for 26 years. The mantel of leadership of the movement fell on Rev Dr. Vincent Leoh, who serve as our 2nd local General Superintendent from the year 2000 – 2008. Rev Ong Sek Leang is our third local and present General Superintendent since 2008.
The Bible College of Malaysia and Malaysia Tamil Bible Institute are two official educational institutions of the Assemblies of God to train their ministers. They were started in 1960 and 1972 respectively.1Minutes of the Constitutional Convention of the Assemblies of God of Malaya and Singapore, (Assemblies of God Malaysia National Archive: 6th February 1957).
2Minutes of the 9th General Council of the Assemblies of God of Malaysia and Singapore, 12th – 14th April 1966, (Assemblies of God Malaysia National Archive) 5.